View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: What is Holmes would have got to 50-0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
When he fought Spinks for the first time, his record was 48-0 and the Spinks fights was to tie Rocky's record, not to go 50-0. As we all know, he lost, then fought Spinks again in his next fight and lost again.

I remember how bitter he was about that loss and said a lot of things that I believe he wishes he never said at the time. I remember one sportscaster asking how he felt about not tying Rocky's record and he said "Marciano couldn't carry his jock strap!!"
Yes, he would have had to win both fights vs. Spinks to reach 50-0.

IMO, the first fight was close and a Holmes victory would not have been seen as a robbery by too many people... but enough to garner a rematch.

I had Holmes winning the rematch 144-141.

Holmes fought well in the rematch. His output was good, his conditioning was good, he fought smart, and stuck to his fight plan. Had he got the win to go along with his good performance, it may have given new life to his career. Maybe he would have been a major force in '86 and '87.

Face it, he was rusty vs. Tyson in '88. Hell, he was better when he fought Holyfield in '92.

How would Holmes have done vs. Witherspoon II or Smith II in '86 or '87? How about Thomas, Tucker, and yes Tyson... had he gotten those 2 wins over M. Spinks?
Hookie is offline  Top