"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Muay Thai: Technique Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Welcome back!

I've been missing you.

I've always heard that the sidekick is the most powerful kick, because it involves both the glut and the quad muscles. Are you saying the teep is more powerful? If so, how is it? This is not a loaded question as I have no feedback if you have a good reason.

I was under the assumption that the sidekick was more powerful than the teep, and wondered how much more damage could be done to an opponent's body by using the sidekick.

How do you properly defend the sidekick, or any kick headed straight for the abdomen for that matter? Do you simply side step it, or is there more ways?
No I'm not saying the teep is a more "powerful” kick just that it's more practical than a side kick out of a pretty square MT stance. Requoting myself “It lacks the speed and power you can generate in a lead leg teep. It’s just too slow for a lead leg especially if you consider it form a traditional squarer MT stance. He’d have to turn some before he threw it. If it even lands it’s still putting your feet in a bad position to be countered by a juicy low round kick.” In an MT contextthe sidekick is pretty slow and useless, easily avoided and as we’ve mentioned before it leaves you in a precarious position. In a straight power test on a bag or some kind of kick shield, sure the traditional side kick will generate a helluva a lot of power but your chances of landing it an a fluid MT bout are 1 in 10 or probably less, compared with the “teep” that probably has a lading ratio of 9 in 10. So what I meant when I said the teep has more power in the MT stance was the kick that lands has more power than the kick that doesn’t, no rocket science there pretty simple.

The side kick is pretty easy to avoid once you’ve had it thrown at you a couple of times. Just simple step back and counter (not against the ropes!), side step and counter, wipe it away if it’s a lead leg side kick, but the most effective way and most natural to a Muay Thai fighter is to crowd him in true aggressive Muay Thai style!

I’ve spoken a lot about in other post about how “real” MT as fought by the Thais is a relatively simple fluid style of fighting based in power and relentless stalking pressure. So if you have a guy opposite you that likes to throw sidekicks like an old skool kickboxer, remember you are fighting the tougher style and keep cutting of the space and crowding him. Remember he needs space to turn a little sideways, lift his leg slightly across his body and then push it out towards you, if you don’t give him the space you’ve smothered him along with his sidekick. Remember as an MT fighter being in the pocket is you bread and butter against any non MT fighters, knees elbows, and low licks etc. Stay on him with vicious low point kicking as he keeps trying to back up to create space, as you get him near the robes keep walking in with the knees and mixing it with your hands, he’ll soon start getting ragged and confused having had his power jab and space taken away from him. You’ll grind him down pretty easy from then on. You need much less space to launch a front or back push kick or “teep”, it’s simpler and much faster from your stance and with enough hip in it packs enough power to do the same job as the classic side kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Western Boxing combinations are based on capitalizing on anticipated reactions. The one-two(jab-cross) followed by a hook to the body is designed to bring the hands up and take advantage of the exposed ribs. Hooking off the jab is done when the defender parries the jab, and leaves the side of the head open for the hook. Mike Tyson's combo, the right hook to the body followed by the right uppercut to the head, was designed to have the opponent leaving the chin open while reacting to the body shot.

There is a problem with how they are drilled, as you mentioned in your post. Many start throwing the combination while ignoring the design. There is no reason to hook off the jab if the opponent doesn't move the hand and leave an opening. There is no reason to hook to the body after a one-two if both head shots land, and the opponent doesn't lift the arms and give the opening. It's time to keep firing straight shots. Yet, you often see fighters fire off combinations regardless of their opponent's reactions.
Exactly. This is what I meant about farang being a bit "robotic" or predictable, kind of fighting by the numbers. However, in boxing it kinda works due to the limited target area nad limited weapons.

Last edited by boranbkk; 08-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.
boranbkk is offline  Top