Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Muay Thai: Technique Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Hey Matty.

What I mean when I say “one strike power at the right target at the right time” I’m not talking in the sense of a classical martial artist like karate guy or KF guy who is delivering a one of concentrated technique. It’s more constant strikes being thrown as in boxing except everything that is thrown is thrown with nasty finishing intent aimed at a perceived opening. Pre drilled combos kinda work in boxing cos the target area is very small and you’re only using two weapons so predicted openings can be pretty accurately guessed hence “the sweet science” moniker, but in MT to many variables to predict regular openings and weakness in defences. If you train in combos you’ll fight in combos and that opens you up to being countered quite easily in MT. The first rule of MT only throw it if you mean it!

Here are some examples of some typical pad work and bag work. Everything is thrown to focus on power and good technique not to premeditate combos for the ring. Infact, the little guy on the bag is being quite adventurous, very often bag work consists of guys kicking exactly the same spot on the bag with the same leg round after round after round after round after round after round……………!

Interms of the setting up and laying of traps PIRA said it pretty well:

What I was taught was that way is "staying in the pocket" and using the higher skills of MT evasion, timing, catching and checking to "invite" your opponent to throw something and makes him look foolish and clumsy with a miss - capping it off by landing something better.”

Muay Thai in Thailand is a very “tit for tat” style of fighting, ever wonder what was happening in rd 5 of what you thought was a close fight when the seemingly stronger fighter just suddenly shuts up shop and then the weaker fighter goes on the rampage? Just as PIRA said a better strike was landed by the guy in red so now the guy in blue has to and something juicer, so the guy in red has to do everything in his power to avoid it and only counter if the blue guy lands the shot, tennis anyone?

About training in Thailand……..do it! It’ll be one of the highlights of your fighting life and maybe your civilian life to. Plenty of opportunity to train in western boxing to. Here’s a link from a while back about boxing training in Thailand from th Brit forum:

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/...d.php?t=396189

I totally agree. One of the main reasons I struggle to watch heavyweight MT, I've always felt its a sport for little guys. Of course you can get some great heavies but they tend to be very rare gems in a giant stacks of coals.
I see, interesting stuff Boran.

And I didn't even know they had HW Muay Thai, surely there's not many HW Thais?
Matty lll is offline  Top
Sponsored Links