View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #74
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Of the 80's Fab four, Duran, Hearns. Hagler and Leonard..Which is your favorite!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Instead of fighting McCallum, Duran fought Hearns. And lets not forget it was a more lucrative fight. And without hindsight, a tougher fight on paper at the time as well. Hearns had moved up to 154lbs after the Leonard loss, beat Benitez, and was unbeaten for 3 years at the weight. McCallum had yet to even win a world title.

You need to look into the reasons why a fighter ducks another fighter and what he does after it. I mean, you going to accuse Lewis of ducking John Ruiz, when Michael Grant was a far tougher and more lucrative fight.

My understanding is that Emanuel Steward wanted Hearns to fight Duran, instead of McCallum.
Of course it was a risk/reward thing, and I can understand Duran's reasoning. But he did after all duck his mandatory, and that for me must be worse than the meaningless publicity stunt Leonard pulled - a double title nonsense that even he doesn't give two shits about.

Personally, I'm not much bothered by either move, but if you're going to give Leonard a hard time for taking out a much bigger opponent under some bogus pretensions, Duran should be judged for ducking a mandatory and for never really clearing up winning a title with a foul.
Bokaj is offline  Top