Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Machida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toker View Post
He is great!! Thanks for the input. I don't know if you would know the answer to this, but is his stick and move style typical of his shotokan, or is it more his own personal fighting style completely different and apart from karate?
I don't really know so much about karate to be honest, but as far as I know Machida's style is quite typical of karate, because I think karate is about waiting, looking for an opening to land a decisive strike, and then striking fast and hard for maximum damage, and then getting back out again, and this is what Machida does, to a large extent. However, Machida does bring other stuff to the table inside the Octagon as he has shown good defensive wrestling (takedown defence), and apparently has a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu (though I haven't seen him fighting on the ground much in the UFC).

I know he kicks in the karate style in MMA, but I don't know enough about striking with the hands in karate to tell you whether or not his punching technique is in line with karate style. He is an effective puncher though, as shown in his previous fight.
Kittikasem is offline  Top