View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #59
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Greg Jackson killing the sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlesX7 View Post
All this is opinion. Yea, I like it too when fighters try to finish fights, but I am not going to condemn a fighter if he doesn't go for the finish, when it is clear that he's minimizing his chances of winning if he goes for it. I am not sure that there is any fighter alive right now that could finish Nick Diaz. So having that in mind, I can't accuse Condit of 'fighting safety first' or whatever. He did what he had to do to win vs a tough as nails fighter with an incredible chin.

Fighting to win by not losing? Wtf does that mean? If you were a HW boxer and you had to fight Oliver McCall, would you try to knock him the **** out, or try to outscore him? Do you think that people should give you shit if you won a pts victory? Come on now. Every fight is different. And we're talking about a guy (Condit) who has 26 finishes out of his 28 wins.
You seem to be suggesting that I'm wanting someone to just wage in, and go shot for shot until someone gets knocked out. That is not what I am advocating. I will repeat:
Quote:
Well, it all boils down to intentions. The most decisive manner of victory is finishing your opponent inside the distance. If you go into a fight trying to finish your opponent and time happens to run out, that is one thing. Going into the fight thinking it is going to go the distance, and fighting to win by not losing is another.
This is an mma thread, but you bring up boxing and Oliver McCall. If I were fighting Oliver McCall, I would try to choke him out. **** going for the knock out, but you can't do that in boxing. Anyway, I always liked boxing. It was 1989 when I began to follow the sport seriously. It didn't take me long to find out who Pernell Whitaker was. Whitaker became my favorite fighter.

Pernell won more fights by decision than he did by knock out, but he still followed the rule that I hold mma fighters by. Whitaker didn't hit with concussive power. Still, Whitaker beat people up. Whitaker had a great jab, a consistent body attack, good counters, and good combinations.

Condit may have 26 of 28 wins inside the distance, but he "fought" Diaz as though he were playing tag. Pernell would have been ashamed of Condit's effort. There was no run and gun, it was just run and run.

You may like watching people win using a gimmick, but I don't. What I saw is a man that would have been hunted down if the bout were held without a time limit.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top