Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #27
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: MMA is in a Slump? Agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
I'm with you on this Haggis, particularly the last bit.

As u know I'm just a casual MMA follower, but I can see there is to much focus on the UFC which is obviously going though a bit of a transition. I think with what's going on around the world at grass roots level and with all the organisations popping up I think the future's never looked better for MMA.

Change is inevitable in all things. Some change is good and some is bad. One thing I di know, the change that has happened in MMA is good, very good for the fighters and to me that's what the bottom line is.

If you call yourself a fan you'll love the sport and support the sport worts and all, ups and downs. If you wanna see elite fighters fight, pay them buy that PPV and enjoy it.

At this current moment in time:

* MMA is more visible and easier to access than EVER before.

* MMA has finally overcome the "human ****fighting" label, and for the first time it is recognized as a legitimate sport, with its participants regarded as serious professional athletes.

* Top MMA stars have now broken through to the mainstream, getting huge endorsement deals with massive companies.

* The biggest sports network on the planet has made a half-billion-plus dollar, seven-year commitment to grow the sport into a mainstream attraction. Regular MMA events will be hyped during NFL games and broadcast live at primetime on the same channel as the big sports.

* Every major sports website now has a "UFC" or "MMA" section, instead of not covering MMA at all because it's completely irrelevant in the sporting world.

* MMA gyms are opening up all over the world in numbers the sport has never seen before.

* Thousands upon thousands of guys have begun training MMA in the last two, three, five years, who never would have set foot in an MMA gym pre-Zuffa.

* Major MMA events are being hosted in arenas all over the world. Guys in Sweden, Australia, Brazil, England, Germany, they can all feel like they're connected to the big show. This has never been the case before.

And it goes on. But ask the typical ESB MMA forum "expert", and what do you get?

Bitching and crying and moaning about the loss of the sport's "good old days" when nobody gave a **** about MMA, it was completely irrelevant in the sporting world and it was one step up from being totally extinct.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top