View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #75
Da Boxer
Cotto Soldier
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Who's Austin Trout?

Quote:
News came out last week that Miguel Cotto would be fighting at MSG on December 1st. No surprise there, as many predicted Cotto would make his return to the ring at his favorite venue. The real shocker was Cotto’s opponent, Austin Trout. Cotto is currently the 3rd biggest draw in the sport behind Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao and has fought some of the best boxing has to offer over the course of his career. That’s why it came to the surprise of many whenever Trout was selected to be the man to fight Cotto next. Rumor had it, Cotto turned down a rematch with Manny Pacquiao in which it was reported he would make a minimum of 13 million dollars. A fight with Trout isn’t going to bring in anywhere close to that amount of money for Cotto and has me shaking my head over his decision. Whatever Cotto’s reasons are for not accepting the fight with Pacman it’s his business. Trout on the other hand jumped at the opportunity to have a major fight against one of the sport’s biggest stars.

So who is Austin Trout? Austin “No Doubt” Trout is a 27 year old Light Middleweight boxer who hails from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Trout boasts an undefeated record, at 25-0 with 14 victories by way of knockout. Trout, a southpaw, is currently the defending the WBA Light Middleweight title holder and will be making his 4th defense against Cotto. Trout’s best win to date was against Delvin Rodriguez when the two fought this past June. Trout was able outpoint Rodriguez in route to a 12 round unanimous decision.
When I heard Trout and Cotto were going to fight my initial reaction was one of disbelief. I was happy Trout is getting this opportunity but not sure he has done enough to deserve it. Regardless, whenever a fight is announced I like to guess the line before looking it up to see how close I was to the number Vegas give. I expected with Cotto’s impressive resume and great deal of experience, he would be a heavy favorite with Trout getting little respect from the Vegas oddsmakers. I guessed Cotto would be somewhere around -450, with Trout getting +375. Even more shocking than Cotto vs Trout being made, were the odds I found when I looked them up. Cotto is currently listed at -280 with Trout getting +200. Clearly Vegas thinks highly of Trout’s chances to upset Cotto. Check back when the fight gets closer to read my fight preview and see if I agree with Vegas.
Source: http://sportschatplace.com/boxing/sc...boxing-corner/
Da Boxer is offline  Top