View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #30
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: White to UFC 152 critics, boo-birds: 'Don't ever buy another UFC pay-per-view aga

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Although to be fair i just fast forwarded through most of it to the main event. I just can't watch a full UFC card anymore. I just don't get up for them like i used to.
Well, you're not a fan, scurla. You're a fanboy.

Anyway, do you "get up" for cricket games like you used to? Do you get up in the middle of the night to watch the West Indies, or anticipate them touring weeks in advance? Of course you don't, because a) your favourite team is now usually getting beaten instead of being the kings, and b) you're older and more jaded in general. You don't get as excited for music, movies or any other form of entertainment either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
PRIDE used to average around 8 fights a year. Almost every card was stacked. Most featured a least one championship bouts or a tournament style GP with multiple action packed fights. The anticipation for each card was a major key to its success.
So yes I completely agree with you. What you're suggesting isn't that dissimilar to PRIDE bar the free TV fights.
PRIDE failed, scurla. It's gone, and has not been replaced. It failed because of its own failings, and the UFC had nothing to do with it failing. Why the hell would you constantly hold up PRIDE as the way to run an MMA organization?

I agree that there are certainly too many PPV cards and the UFC is making some missteps, but the solution isn't to try to turn the clock back and replicate a failed organization from another culture.

They need good fighters and young up and comers regularly on free TV. And to be fair to them, a lot of the free cards have been MORE stacked than the PPVs. You may complain about seeing Shogun, Machida, Vera, Bader and Lauzon on a free card, (and you did ), but I won't.

Last edited by Haggis McJackass; 09-23-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Haggis McJackass is offline  Top