Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs. Sonny Liston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Marciano never fought anyone like Liston. He was never hit by anyone like Liston.

Don't be fooled by Ali's knockdown of Liston. It wasn't real. Yeah, there was a punch, but it was not a punch that would have decked Sonny Liston.
Cleveland Williams could hit like a bull. Liston took his stuff without blinking. He damn sure wasn't going to be knocked down by the punch Ali threw.

I don't know who would have won this fight. I think it could go either way.
I tend to think Liston would win it. Marciano took too many punches to land one of his own. He couldn't fight Liston this way and win.
I don't know what the deal was in the second fight with Ali but some would say you have to factor in the possibility that Liston didn't see the punch coming because of the speed and angle it was thrown/placed and the punch you don't see, is the punch that does the most damage.

Now if that was the case...I don't know. Shady times and it had most people scratching their head.

But I agree; Rocky didn't face someone with the overall size and skill of Liston. And Liston would be his toughest challenge.

Good Fight.
Caelum is offline  Top