Old 07-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #35
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Moore's strategy in the Marciano fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal
It seemed like Moore was tired early. I think it's possible that he came in flat (the way he described his perfomance against Patterson) and decided to just mix it Marciano and counter right (it worked once, didn't it?). But I still believe he would have been more successful had he circled to his right. He would have had Marciano lunging and out of position. He could slip the hook (which he did effectively) and counter with the right uppercut from Marciano's left side (the way Tyson often did).
I think Moore tired early because he was fighting Marciano. If you examine the careers of nearly all Marciano's major opponents, you'll see that virtually every one of them tired unusually early in their fights with him. Marciano was an unusual fighter. He threw an unusually high number of hard, punishing punches to the arms, shoulders, body and head, virtually never clinched, never backpedaled, never "cruised" through sections of a fight, and never took a round off.

Quote:
I don't believe Marciano was better than Moore.
Marciano was champion, while Moore wasn't, Marciano never lost, while Moore did, Marciano did better than Moore against their common opposition, and Marciano beat Moore himself in very decisive fashion. At least as a heavyweight, I think it's plenty evident that Marciano was the better fighter.

Quote:
The age difference cannot be exaggerated. Moore was a marvel, and he was beating big heavyweights (like Valdes), but against the buzzsaw, he was just too old to hold up. He timing was a bit off as he tired. I think had Marciano met a younger Moore things might have been different.
Actually, the age difference can be exaggerated quite a bit. Moore was 38-42 years old(depending on whose word you take), yes, but as you say, he was a marvel. One of a kind. He may have been old, but he was on the biggest winning streak of his career, having won his last 21 fights in a row, and one certainly can't claim that his opposition was weaker than usual in that run, seeing how six of those were against world champions and future Hall-of-Famers and several more were against top heavyweight contenders. Moore was on the absolute best run of his career going into the Marciano fight, bar none. He would go on afterwards to compile an impressive 37-4-2 record, make five more successful defenses of his light heavyweight title, hold that title for five more years, and remain a top 10 heavyweight for seven more years. Moore was absolutely in his prime when he fought Marciano, in spite of his advanced age.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top