Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #52
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs. Sonny Liston

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
I never saw anyone land a double jab on Marciano. After the first jab landed he was in the other mans face throwing shots and landing himself.

If you look at Marcianos footing and stance from the outside as he was closing range he was almost entirely side on. A lead uppercut would not work because the head is behind the forward facing left shoulder and in front of the oposite right shoulder above his back foot. An uppercut would only work inside. If he can find room.

Maybe, also a chance rocky being lower with that wide footing with neutralise this though?

Only if you look at it from one angle. This is a close, hard fight tougher than a fight Liston actually won.

There is only one inch in height but like you say a lot of reach disparity. This can only factor if Liston can make that reach count and do something he never did and get up on his toes and turn into Tokyo Douglas. At long range I never saw anyone hurt Marciano at his championship best from the outside because of his low, crowding from a side on stance. Long shots from outside only ever seemed to graze Rocky‘s crab like tangle of shoulders and elbows. Often Marciano’s feet would be in range but his head would not. This drew opponents closer to him and within Marciano’s punch radius. I think rocky gets do do what he wants to do and Liston cant do what he wants to do.
well said or written, all good points
Bummy Davis is offline  Top