Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #26
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rickson vs Sakuraba = Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Bas was in Pancrase by then if I remember correctly, but I wouldnt call that MMA strictly and the UFC was NHB then anyway. But good post. Rua's striking may be poor when you look at it today, but it was still light years ahead of Ricksons. Id say it's a 50/50 Rua by ko, or Rickson by armbar. But we dont know how good Ricksons chin is because he never fought any strikers(Zulu really any good apart from what we hear in the Gracies in Action vids...debatable) , that should be a knock on Gracie not Marco imo
Another thing you have to remember is that Rickson is a BJJ practitioner first, and I don't mean sport bjj. Rickson is not trying to win rounds, and he isn't going to be interested in competing in something that would allow for separations due to inactivity. Rickson wants to use his family's art to finish a fight. He doesn't care about winning a decision under today's rules. Watch Rickson's fight with Funaki. Rickson got the clinch on Funaki within seconds, and they remained in the corner jockeying for position for over 8 minutes. They would have been separated in 30 seconds under today's rules. That means Rickson would have to close the distance way more often under the mma rules of today as opposed to the rule that he fought under.

I think Rickson would probably have some ko losses under today's rules. He would be forced to close the distance far more often than he is accustomed to doing, and opens himself up to strikes the more times he has to close the distance. Someone would eventually catch him with a hard shot and finish him.

I still think that Rickson is the most lethal, one on one, fighting machine I've ever seen.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top