Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #154
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs. Sonny Liston

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
He beat armed policemen, prisoners, steet-hoodlums, a world heavyweight champion, top contenders so on and so forth. There is ONE occasion where he - arguably - was out-psyched or intimidated and that was against Ali -- not in the pitbull mould.

I say that Marciano is perfect for Liston from a psychological viewpoint. A tough bastard who wants to take his head off. Liston has been dealing with men like this since he was a child. He understands this. He has never been found wanting in this type of situation to our knowledge, in a life spent fighting in one way or another.

It's a huge leap to say Liston would be intimidated by a smaller man whose type he had been dealing with since his balls dropped.
Thank you. The whole "bully the bully" tactic is being grossly overrated here, as it is too often with Tyson and even Foreman. Liston became the bully because he fought damn near every day of his life. Every bully falls sooner or later but not every chance another guy bows up.

But, then again, each of your posts I imagine in the voice of Sasha so I can not disagree.
Seamus is offline  Top