Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #20
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396
Default Re: Nineties heavyweights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
I've heard from many people that Tysons power was actually grossly exaggerated , but it was his speed that was lethal, and never gets talked about.

I'd tend to agree. I can tell you George Foreman and Lennox Lewis hit harder, blunt force, then the Klitschkos, but Wladimir Klitschko is the guy whose punches I'd consider it harder to ship. Tyson's shots would have been incredible difficult to see coming; So tight, so blazing fast.
I've heard the same thing when a few Tyson opponents who got to talking about it. It wasn't that he was the hardest hitter in history, (although obviously he hit hard) it was all about his speed. He would launch himself at you like a fast middleweight rather than a heavyweight, be on you before you'd imagine a guy fighting at heavy could possibly be on you, and then hit you with shots so fast it seemed impossible.

I find it pretty hard to imagine what it was like for anyone who had to deal with that. Definitely makes you understand though why a style like that wasn't really made to last and Tyson could only fight at the top of his game for so long.
The Wanderer is offline  Top