Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #162
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs. Sonny Liston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
I think the size thing matter to you, the thing that would bother Sonny as it did with Tyson is fighting a man with no fear. The Ali fight was unique as you say but even though he was older I think when he dropped Leotis Martin and Martin got up and went at Sonny hard, Martin got the KO...I am not so sure Sonny fought so many that were not intimidated of him.

The Tyson comparison is when Holyfield who a few months later struggled to stop Bobby Cyz showed Tyson no fear and caused him to fizzle

I think fighting a man with true heart and no quit makes a difference...Ali showed it differently but he like Marciano had a unique quality....Heart and strength of mind.

I am not sold on Sonny by virtue of what I saw against that unique fighter with the extra heart and strength of mind.

Liston was impressive at a level but his performances against psyched out opponents has created a mystique that has overblown his standing in h2h ratings.

angelo dundee himself said (given that he was in besmanoffs corner when Liston beat him) that :“who did liston knock out? Al westphal that’s all. Cleveland Williams was on his feet and besmanoff was stopped on cuts. Forget Patterson - he was psyched out. Boxing beat liston. Boxing and cassius clay.”

Marciano was horrible to fight and more experienced than Liston. Sonny would be a hard opponent for Marciano too but it works both ways if both are prime. Once they both start swapping punches I think Marciano would win the exchanges, he was harder to hit with consecutive punches and also had a better chin.
choklab is offline  Top