Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #63
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: Nineties heavyweights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Yeah as I mentioned, I wasn't certain if either Norton and Quarry had ever made the HOF, but they were still great fighters.
Maybe it's arguing semantics, but I really think Quarry should not be qualified as a great fighter. He was completely outgunned - mentally and physically - when he stepped up against great opposition. Did he even manage to win a single round in 4 fights against Ali & Frazier?).

How can someone be great if he wasn't even champion? Some will say that he would've been champion if Ali/Frazier weren't around, but why? He basically went even with an over-the-hill Patterson, who is widely regarded as one of the weakest (lineal) champions ever. This is not even considering losses to Ellis and Chuvalo. He's an excellent contender, but I wouldn't call him first-tier or great.

Norton has a better case as he at least beat first-tier opposition. Still, other than Ali his resume isn't all that either. He's got a razor thin win over Young, beat an older Quarry, other than that...? Olympian Bobick? This is weighed against devastating knockout losses.

They did fight in the most popular era of heavyweights, against even more popular names.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top