View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #71
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gerry Cooney - the hardest puncher ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
Ali was also completely finished when he fought, and beat, Shavers. So what good is his testimony?

As for Norton, it was only two fights between Shavers and Cooney, and Norton didn't exactly shine in that time (he got a SD with Cobb for Christ's sake!). You could argue that Norton got old overnight from the Shavers fight, but you can't categorically state it. For all we know Shavers simply happened to get to a diminished Norton first.

You're right though. Norton was completely finished after Cooney got through with him!

BTW, Lyle never lost to Shavers.
ha ha! thats what i get for trying to type fast and not checking my reply before i post. Of course your right Lyle beat earnie, i meant to say he fought him between M.A. and G.F. My point was that Shavers fought a better version of lyle than Cooney.

That aside, i still fail to see what your basing your argument on.

Oh and BTW, i never mentioned Ali saying anything about anyone

EDIT. Ive just re-read your reply post and most of it seems to be a reply to things that i never stated one way or another.

I never mentioned anything specific about when Norton 'went', in fact i think i just stated he was coming of a gallant losing effort to Holmes. I never said he 'was gone' immediately before the cooney fight, i never said anything one way or another. In fact i specifically said 'not that im saying he wasnt slipping', so not only do i fail to see where you base your argument on (not that im saying your wrong, you may well be right) but i also fail to see what the points you make in your reply, have got to do with what i posted?

Or maybe we just have our wires crossed

Last edited by johnmaff36; 10-07-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: re-readn the post
johnmaff36 is offline  Top