View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: sonny liston vs jack johnson.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
The inconvenient truth for some is Johnson skirted the best black challengers as the lineal champion. He probably drew the color line against top rated balcks fighter more than any other champion in history.

No title matches were given to Sam McVey, Joe Jeannette, or Sam Langford from 1908-1915. Gee I wonder why. Jeanette said it best. " When Johnson became champion he forgot his old friends and drew the color line against this own people. " Did Johnson seek out Wills post 1915? I tend to doubt it. Heck, he didn't even re-match Jim Battling Johnson, who according to some reports was the better in the 1913 match, and had Johnson hurt and ready to go.
I agree with this. and it is basically what I was trying to say.

and mcvey, I never said Johnson never fought black fighters, I said he HAD A REPUTATION FOR DODGING BLACK FIGHTERS. What this means is many people believe this and feel this way and the fact that he could go 8 years as champ avoiding 3 of the top contenders tells you something. He may have fought black guys on the way up, but once he got the title he wasn't going to fight any black guy who could beat him. In otherwords he only fought black tomato cans.

Many people get all offended when they are told that a fav of their fought guys who were easy competition for THEM. but the truth is a good boxing manager will never face you up against someone who you can lose against or will give you lots of trouble unless it is going to be a major payday and the fighter is nearing the end of his career. This is why many fights never happen in boxing foreman vs tyson
hernanday is offline  Top