View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Brownies
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: How were old timers so good?

There's not a lot of people who decide to get punched in the face repeatedly as a way to earn their money, if they got other choices. I love watching boxing and I love the sport, however I'd have to be dumb or ignorant to not notice that most past champs are punch drunk.

My point is that our society is getting better and better in most departments, so it's normal to see less and less people choosing to become boxers. We also see more guys like David Haye who are there to make their money and leave the game as soon as possible. You can look at all the Joe Louis tapes you want, if you don't spend a ridiculous amount of time in sparring, trying to replicate his moves, you won't become the next Louis. I don't know for you, but I prefer to keep my job and not risk the chance of someday talking like James Toney.

Our society has changed a lot and I see it as an improvement that a violent sport like boxing has not improved as much as a non-violent one like tennis. I'll continue looking at the sweet art, but like I said i'd need to be ignorant or dumb to not see its weaknesses.
Brownies is offline  Top