View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #72
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gerry Cooney - the hardest puncher ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
Sure, Williams, Bugner and Clark might be a good place to start, but to go where? Who else did he stop? What prime durable fighters? It just seems pretty unfair for you to expect Cooney to have KOed Cobb to be able to prove his punching credentials, when Cobb was uniformly regarded as having one of the hardest chins ever, something which has never been said of the above three fighters. What comparable fighter to Cobb (chin-wise) did Shavers ever stop? He never fought Chuvalo, who was the nearest possible candidate, and he failed to stop Cobb himself despite Cobb being about as open as a barn door. How are his credentials any more proven?

Cooney did a lot more than just knock out a journeyman with a bodyshot on youtube. He destroyed Norton, he destroyed Lyle, he brutally stopped a number of fighters in ways that left me in no doubt that he was a hellacious puncher. As for fighter testimonies, well, Cooney has plenty of those himself if you care to check the rest of the thread. Foreman considered him the hardest puncher he'd ever fought, as did Holmes and Lyle.
You make some valid points, but as I also stated in my prior post, I did not base my comparison soley on the wins that Shavers had nor even Cooney's. But the testimonies of all time great fighters who were known for their durability among other things.. Cooney beating the piss out of Norton and Lyle when they were both pushing 40 and in the last fights of their careers meant nothing.. Shavers dispatched Norton in nearly the same amount of time, only he did it a full two years earlier when Ken still had a tiny bit left in the tank. And one other thing.. I'm pretty sure that Holmes said that SHAVERS was the hardest man he'd ever been hit by... Not Cooney.. Young said the same thing.. Both men fought Cooney and Shavers and agreed that the Acorn hit them the hardest.

Now to be clear, I am not favoring one man over the other. I am only using Shavers as one man to compare Cooney to. But I agree that Gerry could crack harder than most.. My point is that there simply isn't enough evidence to crown him as boxing's hardest puncher..
mr. magoo is offline  Top