Old 10-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #28
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Are you a bit slow? It doesn't matter what sport you've played or what you're comparing it to, that's not the point.
I think you are missing the point. The guy played ncaa football, I played highly competitive football, there simply is no comparasion.

Football has a way shorter season, and there are many games where you will have no incident and your head will not be touched nor injured. Every time you box or spar your head WILL GET HIT, and if you want to be a great or very good boxer you're going to need a deep amateur background or just be grossly skilled.

In football rugby whatever, there is a moderately-low risk you will get a big to moderate injury like a hit to the head, ie. might happen a 2-3 times over a few seasons In boxing you get punched in the head every time.

Obviously boxing you accept the risk, but my question was not if you accept the risk, it is are you concerned you could go blind at 50, or end up with a bunch of tubes up your nose from a brain blood clot, or whatever. Its a valid question. Its like asking are you concerned you will end up with cancer as an x-ray tech.

I am not sure if the average person who goes into boxing knows how dangerous it can be.
hernanday is offline  Top