dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanday View Post
Right

I am not disputing football is dangerous, but to me a sport where you get an concussion get up and can get 2 or 3 more concussions in a span of minutes is clearly more dangerous in the long term than one where you get a concussion come back a week later and get a 2nd concussion. And in your estimation, how long between concussions would a fight fight again.

Someone like Ali or Louis or marciano or hammerin hank probably got more concussions than someone who got their butt beat 3-4 times them quit. And while Marciano was never knocked out, when you reach that level of skill, often times you can be fighting when you are concussed ie. fighting while being "stunned" without going down because at that level of skill its just instinctual. Ie. think trevor berbick vs mike tyson, had trevor had marciano's chin, there is a good chance he'd not fall down and just keep swinging away off instinct but that doesn't mean he is any less hurt.
If you can continue fighting your concussion obviously is a low-grade concussion, that's got zero relevance to how skilled a fighter is.
Footballers can receive multiple concussions in a game, boxers can during a fight as well. Boxers generally have at least a month off after a fight (mandatory if they lose by stoppage) while football players play week after week with full contact training. Second impact syndrome is the big risk with concussions and most commonly occurs in team sports like football.
I'm not saying boxing isn't dangerous, it obviously is. If I had a kid I'd prefer him to box than play football though, there is little evidence that amateur boxing is harmful to health while there is mountains of research showing the dangers of high school football.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Sponsored Links