Thread: Kid Gavilan
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Quick Cash
ESB Senior Member
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kid Gavilan

Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Nah, Gavilan has as many quality scalps at middleweight as he has at 147. Big punchers like Lausse as well.
He enjoyed quite a bit of success against larger foes, yes. He was, however, rather thin in the arms and legs, which was the point I was trying to make. He doesn't favorably compare to Leonard or Robinson in terms of physical size- certainly not to the more modern De La Hoya.

Though their body types may vary, in his prime I'd say he carried the same overall bulk as a Curry, Napoles, Basilio, or Pacquiao.

Obviously, talent is no question, but there's also no denying he was an under-sized welterweight. At his level, it's true it doesn't play as big a role. But a stickler would point out that that may hurt or hinder his chances nonetheless, especially against the upper echelon of what amounts to a higher weight classification (let that not be confused with a certain Oscar).

These days, I rate him along with the guys I mentioned in the second paragraph. It's my own weird idiosyncrasy. Of course you've still got a competitive list of names if you lump them all together, but it isn't, strictly speaking, fair.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Sponsored Links