View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #71
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How were old timers so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I agree.

As for the last point, I hold your opinion very highly. Lesser talent poll, generally lower skill level (with a few exceptions); agree?
Lesser trainers, lesser work ethic, erratic careers that have a stop-go quality. Because of these, I'd agree on the lower skill level. I'd also add a lack of loyalty; Its not easy to hop, skip, and jump about trainers so often as these guys do. Its a detriment, much of the time; The big shot trainers can only take on so many fighters at once. Leaving a dedicated guy who you were having some success with to get on the waiting list with a big shot isn't gonna end well. Chad Dawson comes to mind; Looked brilliant with the underrated and extremely competent Dan Birmingham. I'd argue he's regressed with every switch he's made since.

I disagree about talent. Athletes today are great, scary good in cases, just as good as they've ever been since I've been alive. We have more purely athletic fighters thriving without sophisticated skill than I can remember, either. But without combining those gifts with that know how, we have precious few greats. Mayweather, Pacquiao, and Marquez come to mind. Andre Ward and Sergio Martinez likely make their mark on history, as well. Beyond that, I can't think of any I consider physical specimens with a boxing mastery.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top