Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Before Sugar Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
W, Tunney at lightheavyweight lost to the MUCH lighter Greb in 1922, and
split the next FOUR fights by all accounts...Remember Tunney was 10-15 pounds HEAVIER than Greb,had 220 bouts less than Greb...So as being
P4P better than Greb, no way....
I don't understand your line about not "having Knowledge of Greb" ? Just look at his astounding record in 300 bouts, beating great HoFamers weighing 15-25 pounds more than Harry, and aside from his prelim bouts, never was KO,D in about 290 fights after,
to the time he retired...And in the last few years, fighting with the sight of ONE EYE...
P.S. In one year in his prime, Harry Greb had 45 bouts, winning them all.
Simply amazing !
absolutely agree burt but i know people's knowledge of and appreciation for greb seems to have gone up significantly in the last few years....when ring wrote an article on the top 20 middles of all time before hopkins-delahoya, they ranked greb number 1 but said most readers would never have heard of him.

i think they're right: in the last 5 years or so the general knowledge of greb has gone up quite a bit; only hard cores knew about it previously and even then, much of his record was difficult to discover pre internet. the casual fan simply had never heard of him.

i imagine many writers of the last few decades only knew him by a reputation of his impressive record and toughness but probably weren't able to rank him properly without extensive research. it's a fact i'm spoiled: without the internet i simply would have little idea of greb's greatness
Nightcrawler is offline  Top