View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #173
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 6005
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdeath View Post
Its a shame Ward ducked Bute, it would shut up all of these pro Calzaghe fanboys had Ward just fought Bute, as we know now that Ward would likely have got to Bute, we just didnt know it when Bute was undefeated. Hindsights a great thing

Personally, I don't get any of this 'Ward ducked Bute' stuff.

Ward said Bute needed to beat a higher calibre of opponent, and then they'd talk. Why duck a guy who hadn't beaten high quality opp, only to seek to fight him after he had done so? Does it make sense?

I could see people saying so, if Bute had won and Ward wouldn't fight him.

It can really only be 1 of 2 things. 1) Ward thought Bute would win or he thought Bute would lose.

If Bute wins, Ward has a more seasoned and a truly viable rival for the top spot in the division.

If Bute loses, Ward is proven right and Bute is proven not to be ready to be a serious candidate. But if he thought this would happen, why duck him in the 1st place?

Ward goes on to sign on to mix it up with a more proven, more dangerous fighter in Dawson, (even though the weight would ultimately prove to be too much for Dawson.)

Seems to me that the timing of it, with Ward's broken hand shelving him for a while, lent for a natural opportunity for Bute to beat a named guy(Froch, Kessler) to build his resume, whilst building the stakes for Ward-Bute. Froch had other ideas.
At least that's how I see it.
des3995 is offline  Top