BatTheMan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: what heavyweights....???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
Ali vs frazier round 3
The commentator says "Clay takes a breather on the ropes. The jab has slowed down from Clay. Not quite the snap that there was to the punches in the first two rounds".

Round 4: The commentator says "Already you can see that the two men are beginning to slow".

Round 6: Commentator says "Both of them now are taking a breather."

round 7:Commentator says "Ali seems a little bit disgusted with himself, but he's mighty tired"

Round 8:Commentator: "Those pitty-pat punches aren't gonna do much for anybody" and "These two are not so much fighting now, they're sparring. They're putting on an exhibition now in the middle of a world heavyweight championship fight… What is going on? I am surprised the referee hasn't moved in here because this is not fighting for the title. And the crowd is beginning to boo and I don't blame them. People have paid more than 60 pounds here for a ringside seat and they want a fight." and "Clay is talking to him again inside the clinch."

Not to mention the amount of time Ali was clinching.

The only guys who could really keep it constant were Prime Ike, Tua and Marciano.
With those guys you knew their engine wasn't running out.
It is possible that the years has been kind in remembering fights like Ali-Frazier I and III just like there is a tendency to make the old timers shine in a light that might be somewhat too flattering.

Its been many years Since I watched the fights in full, and my recollection is that there was action in every round.
BatTheMan is offline  Top