View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #75
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Gerry Cooney - the hardest puncher ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
You make some valid points, but as I also stated in my prior post, I did not base my comparison soley on the wins that Shavers had nor even Cooney's. But the testimonies of all time great fighters who were known for their durability among other things.. Cooney beating the piss out of Norton and Lyle when they were both pushing 40 and in the last fights of their careers meant nothing.. Shavers dispatched Norton in nearly the same amount of time, only he did it a full two years earlier when Ken still had a tiny bit left in the tank. And one other thing.. I'm pretty sure that Holmes said that SHAVERS was the hardest man he'd ever been hit by... Not Cooney.. Young said the same thing.. Both men fought Cooney and Shavers and agreed that the Acorn hit them the hardest.

Now to be clear, I am not favoring one man over the other. I am only using Shavers as one man to compare Cooney to. But I agree that Gerry could crack harder than most.. My point is that there simply isn't enough evidence to crown him as boxing's hardest puncher..
I never stated that I thought Cooney was the hardest puncher ever, I just said he had a better claim to that title than Shavers.

But like I said, once you get to that level it all becomes rather interchangeable.
Absolutely! is offline  Top