Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #41
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Does anyone worry about the long term effects of boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
If you can continue fighting your concussion obviously is a low-grade concussion, that's got zero relevance to how skilled a fighter is.
Footballers can receive multiple concussions in a game, boxers can during a fight as well. Boxers generally have at least a month off after a fight (mandatory if they lose by stoppage) while football players play week after week with full contact training. Second impact syndrome is the big risk with concussions and most commonly occurs in team sports like football.
I'm not saying boxing isn't dangerous, it obviously is. If I had a kid I'd prefer him to box than play football though, there is little evidence that amateur boxing is harmful to health while there is mountains of research showing the dangers of high school football.
This post is not unreasonable on a whole. I'd imagine a more gritty skilled fighter be able to fight through a low grade concussion than a more wimpy fighter, as well referee is less likely to stop a bout for a guy who is perceived to be more skilled. Ie. Klitschko got knocked down like 6 times by corrie sanders, but i've seen fights where a stoppage comes to a lesser opponent earlier and with less damage. Who is getting multiple concussions in a game in football? I suppose it could happen but have 11-12 players on a field kind of limits the amount of times one would be hit. Didn't your resoruces say that amateur boxers can get the same brain problems as the pros? My understanding is that head gear doesn't protect from brain injury, it mostly protects from cuts.
hernanday is offline  Top