View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #90
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: How were old timers so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
H, NOT TRUE..In the 1940s {my era growing up] there were a tremendous amount of amateurs and GOLDEN GLOVE bouts...For example in the GG in MSG they HAD to have THREE rings operating at the same time. Ray Robinson was a product of the Golden Gloves bouts in NY...My dad in the early 1920s boxed in smokers and other non pro bouts...He would tell me in NYC on every block it seemed there was a pro boxer...Tough times breed tough men. In the GG all of us boxed with NO headgear, mini mouthpieces.
Today I cannot watch the amateurs in the Olympic bouts with the headgear, the referee admonishing boxers for the slightest "infraction", not allowing infighting etc...A different game today than in the old days...In the 1940s to get a main event bout at MSG, you needed 45 or so bouts,and more to headline a card...There were of course only 8 weight classes, and fighters learned to cope with boxing guys weighing in some cases 10 pounds o r more...And in NYC area for example there was at least ONE
pro card EVERY NIGHT of the week except Sunday...Fighting so often boxers learned from their experiences and hardened them....To prove my point I can cite a list of the top fighters of the 40s in each class, and compare them to todays top fighters...To be the best of a rich pool of fighters ,makes the greater fighter than a much smaller pool...
My understanding is there are less am weight classes now for men because they had to shrink the number to allow women time to compete in london
hernanday is offline  Top