View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #25
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800
Default Re: Has Jon Jones quite reached his peak yet, or is he still pre-prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Yeah but you could equally talk about Silva being vulnerable to a Jones-level wrestler.

You are comparing the standup of a still pretty raw version of Jones, which is (arguably) the worst element of his game, with the best striker ever to compete in the UFC.

Jones figured Machida's style out quickly and beat him easily, (and he did "figure him out" as opposed to "overwhelm him", and he straight up beat the **** out of Shogun.

If he runs into an Anderson-level striker, then that striker had better have BJ Penn-level takedown defence.

But as it stands, Jones has fought most of the top guys in his division and has not yet been outclassed or even looked uncomfortable on his feet. In my book, after 5 title fight wins, that makes his standup good enough that it's a long way short of a real weakness in his game. It's just not as ridiculously dominant as his top control and gnp.

You missed the big IF I wrote. And Im not too sure if He can keep Anderson down for a prolonged period. I am now convinced that Silva was injured against Chael the first time. He can improve a little but he would never ever come close to Anderson level striking.
chimba is offline  Top