View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #19
thekyuke

vCash: 500
Default Re: What percentage of fights are rigged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Obviously, most rigging does not include actual dives, as thta can be too obvious. - but you can pay / threaten a fighter to not KO his opponent.

As far as downsides - try bucking the promoters on one fight, and see how many good opportunities you get in the future. You have a much better chance of making future money if you play along, than if you try to fight the powers that be.

----------------------------

Most likely, 100% of fights are rigged in some way, even if it's a s subtle as referees letting Ali cheat in every fight he was in. (holding behind the head, etc.)

And even in the most blatant cases, there are practically ZERO repercussions, especially to the guys actually calling the shots:

Bob Arum tells JMM, on camera, "it's just business," and absolutely nothing happens.
A referee in Germany LITERALLY helps a downed fighter up off the canvas so he can continue to fight, and absolutely nothing happens.
----------

It's an unregulated sport, in which promoters, bookies, mafia betters, and even the networks ALL make huge financial gains when the "right" fighter wins.
What possible reason is there to believe that any fight is legit? How naive can you be?
Thanks for breaking it down!
Quote:
It depends on your definition of "rigged." Overall, I think boxing greatly parallels the NBA.

If you mean odds tipped somewhat or even heavily in the direction of one fighter, then many. Just like home teams in the NBA get extra calls and free throws which leads to extra points and more wins, home crowds often influence judging. The other fighter can overcome the obstacles, but is facing an uphill battle.

If you mean blatantly pre-determined, then I would say a few per year. Just like when the NBA suddenly changes officials during a playoff series and the team down 2-0 wins, or when they hand the Lakers 27 free throw attempts in the last 10 minutes of a game 6.

It would be far too difficult to pre-determine the outcome of an MLB game, slightly less so for the NFL. The NBA is likely as rigged, if not more rigged, than boxing
You and jeffjoiner gave me the perspective I was looking for. In sum,its rarely if ever blatant but subtle with indirect incentives among all the interests involved to control the outcome.
thekyuke is offline  Top