View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #112
hernanday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: How were old timers so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
You are making assumptions.

"All experts who were alive claimed Joe Louis was the greatest boxer who ever lived"? I don't think you can find many experts from that time who made such claim.

They would beat the "bums" of today based on whose opinion? Are you an expert on 1930-1940s heavyweights, or is it a claim made by somebody who was born about 100 years ago and is still alive, who had seen those heavyweights fights live?

Braddock a great boxer? Give me a break. He wasn't great even for heavyweight division, regardless of weight he'd have a hard time getting in Top 500.

Anyway, my point was, yes Joe Louis looks great on film, offensively. But probably that was because he was facing very weak opposition? Ie, the same thing the Klitschko brothers are being accused of now.
Yes you can, you'd be hard pressed to find an expert from the 11 years Louis was hw champ even going into the ali years who did not believe Joe Louis was the greatest. Several major bozing publications have him listed as such.

There has not been a fighter since Mike tyson to unify the belts, there hasn't been a fighter since lennox lewis

"In 2005, Louis was ranked as the #1 heavyweight of all-time by the International Boxing Research Organization,[3] and was ranked #1 on The Ring's list of the 100 Greatest Punchers of All-Time.[4]" wiki

And bum of the month club was because louis was fighting so often against guys ranked in the top 10 that he was making them look like bums. but those bums had comparatively more skill than anyone around today and anyone who is in doubt just watch the films.

And I can't think of any other heavyweight champion who went 61 fights before incurring their 2nd loss.

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/louis_ibro.html
Explains why louis was so damn good
Espn rated him #1 in 2007, Big book of boxing read poll rated him #1 in 78,John durant rated him #1 in 76, in 75 nat loubet rated him #1, world boxing rated him #1 in 74.

Louis fought every contender and beat 6 world champs, he fought all the best fighters of the 30s, 40s and 50s. I don't see weak competition, and his only 3 losses are to top champions of those eras, and none in his prime, 2 came when he was too old and should have stopped fighting but was in irs trouble, and the other b/c he was drinking too much bubbly and he avegened it with a round 1 ko. The only fighter he may have never beat was possibly marciano,and I see no shame in that, he was up on the score cards in round 8 of 10. PS, there is a reason why that fight was scheduled for 8 and not 10 rounds, it was well known Louis could not fight 12-15 rounds and marciano only agreed to it to help out louis.
hernanday is offline  Top