View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #22
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: sonny liston vs jack johnson.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
He was KO'd earlier in his career by a super middle although he was of similiar size when he fought, he was naturally way bigger. Also decked by a middle while he was a full fledged heavyweight. The biggest puncher's he faced (by his own admission) he held rather significant weight advantages over, not to say Johnson isn't durable but I don't think he's very proven, certainly not as much as Ali. Also considering how much better he was compared to the fighters of his era and his defensive prowess his chin wasn't nearly as tested as Ali's. So it's very hard to determine whether he could take what Liston could dish out. Also, thing is Johnson has never met anyone like Liston a combination of size, strength, skill, stamina, chin, jab and punching power. I'm leaning towards Liston.
Don't get me wrong, I can see arguments against it, but a very young Johnson getting stopped doesn't mean to much to me. It seems people only bring up an early career KO loss if they are subjectivity against that fighter and doesn't fit their agenda. Do people say jimmy young has chin issues because he was stopped by shavers very early on?? Also on the Ketchel fight I don't see much revelance, but that is just my opinion. I can't honestly see how that fight wasn't being carried. Ketchel although being 160 pounds still hit like a mule, and I don't think Johnson was prepared for the shot at all. The fact he got up and stopped Stanley 3 or 4 seconds after he hit the canvas himself also adds to the evidence that the fight was probably being carried.
Webbiano is offline  Top