Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #21
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cleveland Williams vs Jerry Quarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Miteff was the # 7 ranked heavyweight in the world, and in line for a title shot against Patterson(according to the press) when Williams crushed him.
Miteff had lost 5 of his previous 9 fights. He was a trialhorse for up and comers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Williams faced 3 elite fighters of his time. Ernie Terrell, Sonny Liston, and Eddie Machen. There is also substantial prove he was ducked numerous times by top level fighters including Floyd Patterson in 1964(who refused a WBA elimination match with Williams)
And he went 1-3-1. Again, the anecdotes are far more impressive than his actual record. I'll give Williams that, if he and Quarry wage a battle of anecdotes, he might actually win. But in the ring, I'll stick with the far more proven fighter in Quarry. Williams just doesn't have the accomplishments to justify being picked over Quarry. The only argument one could make would be one of styles. But again, Williams' particular style was never that effective at beating elite level fighters. I'll take Quarry's class of record over Williams' style.
Seamus is offline  Top