View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: What is the best kicking martial art?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Oh man it has to be Muay Thai

Leg kicks, knees and elbows are just to big a weapon/s for it to be anything else
Everyone talks about this, but I rarely ever see knees or elbows being implemented in a fight.

If a guy gets that close, they are usually pushed against the cage at close quarters...

Okay, I take that back, they are kneeing eachother in the legs, but how much technique does that take? Isn't that something that would just come natural? It's like, hmmmm....I can't use my arms because I'm using them to hold on to my opponent...I can't kick because I'm too close....so, I'll use knees.

That doesn't require much skill. That's mostly instinct. I mean, don't get me wrong, you need the balance, but every martial art has balance. If you don't have balance, it doesn't matter what you do, you're never going to be any good.

So while Muy Thai has more weapons, you can only utilize them up close and by that time, your opponent typically tries to grapple you and the fight ends up on the floor or against the cage.

Stand up is mostly utilized on the outiside. That's where you're most effective, unless you can catch somebody with some short hooks on the inside, but like I said, by that time, your opponent will typically grapple you.

So, why does Savate not get very much credit when it appears to be more fluid and geared towards counterpunching and defense than does Muy Thai?
ROACH is offline  Top