View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #20
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Has Canelo's Hand Speed Improved?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy K View Post
you have to ask yourself how many fighters that are undersized (canelos true height is 5'7") have been successful at 160+ in the last 20 years? there is a 5'9" tua, 5'10" tyson, 5'7" montell griffin, 5'8" hagler and a 5'9" abraham(mugabi was 5'9" but never had success over 154). other than griffen, all these fighters possesed one punch power, something canelo does not have.

so if canelo is succesful at 160(something i give 0 chance as he has already been on queer street with gg in sparring with head gear and 16 ounce gloves) then you will be including him in the aforementioned list of ex-fighters.

when you sit down and think about it, thats how truly delusional some people here are on a guy whos best win is a 35-year-old, b-level ryan rhodes who had already been previously (t)ko'd twice.

tyson, tua, hagler, abraham, griffen...canelo?

the stupidity here on the esb forums never ceases to amaze me.
I'm not saying Canelo can match up with the historically good to great middleweights. I'm not stupid enough to think he has that type of potential as a middleweight. But fortunately for him, very few real good fighters exist in the division. I'm confident in saying none of them are historically great middleweights. So against a few years down the road against competition like Quillin, Geale, Proksa, N'Jikam, Lee, Pirog, Jacobs, Macklin, Korobov, etc., I think Canelo would be able to pick up a couple title belts (so long as he doesn't run into GGG in my opinion). I'm not really factoring in Martinez as I think he'll be retired by the time Canelo moves up. But as it stands, I'd favor Martinez to beat him and very possibly via stoppage.
JMP is offline  Top