View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #176
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337
Default Re: How were old timers so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
Weak. It's like me asking you - how many championships have you won?

You can approximate live fire scenarios in sparring. People get hurt and knocked out in sparring all the time, ask Chad Dawson. If instead of learning the skills, you just work out and have 3 fights a month, it's not going to work. You talk about mechanics unraveling under fire, but what's going to happen if you don't have the mechanics in the first place? I agree that you gain comfort and nuance from actual fights, but all the comfort and nuance in the world wouldn't have helped Gatti against Mayweather.
Gatti could have trained as much as he wanted, he never would have beaten Mayweather. Same argument.

Sparring is not fighting either. Itīs a controlled environment. Accidents may happen but they are not the standard.

Whatīs your job? After you learned it, where you good it from the start because you knew the "how" or did you need a few years of practice until you got there?

There are prodigys like Mayweather and perhaps Ward but they are rare and not the standard. You donīt judge scientists by einstein or Newton, are you?

Boxing can be a profession - and for 99.9% of fighters it is, where you learn your profession but get good through experience - and it can be an art - which is the tiny minority at the very top, the Grebs, Armstongs, Robinsons, Alis, Leonards and Jones of the world who just have a talent that transcends the sport. However, those are NOT the ones to go by.
bodhi is offline  Top