View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #177
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: How were old timers so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher3 View Post
are you comparing average fighters or the top level? be consistent.

stop saying things are more important than experience, in any endevour, in any walk of life, training is important but experience is king.

example 1. new drivers have finished their training, new drivers suck
example 2. i could explain you how to use betfair to make money, you couldn't do it straight away.
example 3. a mechanic could explain to me how to strip an engine, i still wouldn't be able to do it first time
example 4. anyone with a degree, you learn for 3 years, then get a job and learn how to actually do the job

listen to people like magnasaki who know about boxing first hand

edit: sparring partners often get told what to do, this is important practice but not the same as a fight
: you seem to have the idea old timers didn't train, obviously they did, it was more stamina based, but they trained hard.
You can't compare a mechanic explaining something to you with hard sparring that you actually do. The rest of the comparisons are similarly invalid.

Training (real training, not bullshit) is more important than random "experience." Experience is only worth something if you actually succeed in what you're doing or at least survive. If you go and get knocked out 3 times in a month, you're no better off than you were when you started. Haven't you ever seen a guy just starting out defeat a much more experienced opponent? Happens all the time. In his fourth fight, Dmitriy Pirog fought a guy who was 25-5 and beat him. There are many other examples. I am not saying that experience in actual fights doesn't matter, but I don't think it matters in the way you imply.

Boxing is a skill-based sport. Any attempt to downplay this in favor of "experience" is mistaken.
rusak is offline  Top