Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #58
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: Jon Jones set to coach and fight Chael Sonnen April 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko View Post
I think Jon Jones fighting Sonnen has Dana White's fingerprints all over it.
No doubt.

Quote:
1. Dana White punishes Hendo and Machida. He punishes Hendo for hiding his injury. He further punishes Hendo by not letting him couch TUF, something that Hendo would probably jump at. He punishes Machida for backing out of the 1 month prep ufc 152 title shot. At the same time he gets the punished to fight each other, Machida versus Hendo, in a high risk and highly anticipated fight that will probably be the co-main event of a ppv or a UFC on Fox main event.

Sounds legit, and I have no problem with it either. Hendo really did **** them over. And Machida, I'm undecided. A title shot is a big deal and you should have time to have a full camp. On the other hand, I'd have a lot more sympathy for Machida's decision if he had not already had the experience of fighting Jones. And if he was out of shape and couldn't get in proper condition on a month's notice, that's on him.

Quote:
2. He rewards Sonnen with an undeserved title fight sending a signal to other UFC fighters, that if they step up, they get rewarded. It's no so much about deserving the title fight in the UFC, like Hendo did, but more about who is willing to step up when the UFC needs it.
I have no problem with that either. Fighters who step up SHOULD be rewarded for it, and it seems that the UFC actually does try to reward those employees who go the extra mile. You see that in a lot of ways, even in the things like the Twitter bonuses.

Quote:
3. He gets a chance to spring some life into TUF ratings as it moves to a non-Friday night air time.
Yep. But to be honest, I'm not really sure what they can do with TUF. How many shows maintain viewer interest over 17 seasons? Still, it should be entertaining. And if I were competing on it, I'd rather be on Chael's team.

Quote:
4. He gets what he originally wanted in UFC 151, Jon Jones versus Sonnen. Is it more likely that Jon Jones had a sudden change of heart and went from being adamantly opposed to fight the undeserving Sonnen to being willing to fight. Or was it Dana White asking him to do it, either as a flat out demand (you don't say "no" to your boss twice) or with some persuasion. I honestly think that Jon Jones would have preferred to fight Hendo, like he mentioned in a UFC 151 post fight interview. Hendo is a legend. And, to Jones like he initially said, Sonnen is still very undeserving.
Wouldn't surprise me if Jones wants the Hendo fight the most, as he does seem like the kind of guy who gets excited about facing legends. I'd rather see Jones fight Hendo than Sonnen, but Henderson put himself in this situation. If he'd been honest about his injury, you gotta think he'd be next in line now. But instead, he crashed an entire PPV and he must have known that would come back to bite him in the ass.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top