Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #50
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667
Default Re: Ricky Burns opponent

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
I ain't twisted f*ck all, thats how I meant it all along. But nice try.
Well you need to write more carefully then, because absolutely NOBODY other than you uses the phrase "domestic level fighter" to mean someone who has fought at home all the time. Because as I said that would apply to proven elite fighters like Calzaghe before he went to the US at the very end.

Quote:
I can see why you would take it that way, because you want to get out of it what tickles your fancy and try and make others look like fools in the process.
No, I took it that way because that is how the phrase is used. Just like if I saw someone write "He wont make it past the 6th round" I would rightfully take it that they meant said fighter would be stopped and not that they meant he would win by stoppage and thus not have to go past the 6th round.

Quote:
I haven't conceded anything, I believe Ricky Burns is a step up from Domestic level, he has proved that now after beating everyone at that level, but I think thats where it ends. It's how you perceive it from then on, he's either still a very good domestic level fighter, or he's just a step up from domestic level. But the argument is, if he fails to beat a Vasquez, a De Marco, a Broner in the future......he just was a very good domestic fighter. HOWEVER, If he beats one of those, and he IS capable, then he goes from that, to world class. Better?
Not really a lot better no. He beat a guy who is currently a world champion. Martinez. He beat him in a world title fight making him world title level. The guy then went on to reclaim that world title and show he was not a one off fluke.

Quote:
The only reason this is a debate, is because of the fanboys, simple as. Anybody open minded and unbiased can see whats up, the fanboys only see one picture, always have, always will. "Ricky Burns will do everyone!!!!!"

I'm not a fanboy and clearly he would get done by several of the guys around that weight class. But he keeps proving people wrong and so fair play to him.
Quote:
I have not once said Ricky Burns is crap, or compared him to Ricky Hatton stylistically. Once again people read and then take whatever they want out of it, totally out of context.
I know, I never claimed you had.

Quote:
I hope the people in here are right, I hope Ricky Burns "does" Adrien Broner. But in my opinion (am I aloud that?) not yours, I think he falls short for the WBC. I'm not the only one who thinks that, but who is hounding them?

I must just attract arguments and clever clogs.
Nothing wrong with thinking he will lose to Broner at all. My only issue was calling him domestic level. Now you've explained what you meant by that, I just think it is totally irrelevant as opposed to outright wrong.

If he never left Scotland, but had Broner, Demarco and Vazquez come over and fight him, he would have proved himself plenty without needing to fight abroad. That said, personally I like to see our fighters go abroad too and I can't understand why any boxer would not want to fight at Madison Square Garden or top a bill in Vegas.
Strike is offline  Top