View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
Vyborg1917
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 161
Default Re: The Brawl in Montreal - who would defeat Duran on that night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
I don't see how Kid is favored to beat Duran... Can somebody explain how he could be favored? Sure, he's a great fighter no doubt, I'm just curious as to what would make him favored. Hearns I disagree with as well. I believe Hearns got lucky that night... Lucky, not that I don't think he could do that again. I think if they fought 10 times... Hearns would get his wins in.. Problem is.. Hearns too often got in a slugfest... and that is EXACTLY what he did against Duran and that would cost him. He didn't try and work off the jab and bomb right hands... He stood toe to toe with a past his prime duran. A prime duran.. that would be a terrible mistake to do. Heans was there to be hit, and I have no doubt, a montreal duran gets that job done more times than not.

I disagree with your characterization of the fight. Hearnís maintained a distance where he could hit Duran but Duran could only reach him by lunging. Hearns hurt him at that distance; a feat heís always going to be capable of given his physical characteristics, and only really bum rushed him when he was in desperate trouble.

As great as he was, the dynamics are always going to be all wrong for Duran; no amount of willfully blind romanticism can get beyond that.
Vyborg1917 is offline  Top