Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #55
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Are Protein Shakes a must?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Any decent pre-workout meal is going to pretty much cancel the urgency for an immediate PWO meal, unless you're training multiple times in a day.
I didn't have a pre-workout meal though. I ate a big lunch at noon, had some fruit/nuts for snacks in the late afternoon. Then I came home from work, had a whey shake (24g protein) and a banana around 7:30, and did my workout from 8:00-9:30. Yes, the meal I had was after my workout, but it just my dinner. I could've had it before I worked out but decided to eat it after. I read Alan Aragon's stuff on pre/during/post workout nutrition and how total daily intake is more important than timing. I was asking more about the fast-digesting properties of whey that most articles talk about, so not so much about timing of intake but more on the kind of protein and the effects of fast-digesting vs. slow-digesting.

To put it another way, regardless of whether it's taken pre or post-workout, would getting X amount of protein from whey have any benefits over getting the same amount of protein from food because of whey's fast-digesting properties? Or is that all marketing BS?

-Edit-
According to this guy, whey protein is superior to whole food protein.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYV60aV7RjU[/ame]

Thoughts?

Last edited by Brand NOOBian; 10-25-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top