Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #56
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947
Default Re: Are Protein Shakes a must?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
I didn't have a pre-workout meal though. I ate a big lunch at noon, had some fruit/nuts for snacks in the late afternoon. Then I came home from work, had a whey shake (24g protein) and a banana around 7:30, and did my workout from 8:00-9:30. Yes, the meal I had was after my workout, but it just my dinner. I could've had it before I worked out but decided to eat it after. I read Alan Aragon's stuff on pre/during/post workout nutrition and how total daily intake is more important than timing. I was asking more about the fast-digesting properties of whey that most articles talk about, so not so much about timing of intake but more on the kind of protein and the effects of fast-digesting vs. slow-digesting.

To put it another way, regardless of whether it's taken pre or post-workout, would getting X amount of protein from whey have any benefits over getting the same amount of protein from food because of whey's fast-digesting properties? Or is that all marketing BS?

-Edit-
According to this guy, whey protein is superior to whole food protein.

Thoughts?
So you did have a pre-workout meal?

No, doesn't really matter. However, it would depend on the quality of protein both from the food and they whey.

Also, Ian McCarthy certainly knows his stuff.
Jdsm is offline  Top