View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036
Default Re: I wish someone had of made a documentary on the early days of Chuck Liddell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
People don't change. It's not like the money started coming in and all of a sudden somehow there's no "real" fighters anymore.

You gotta remember that most of these guys who are fighting now, they were working their asses off and fighting for free all of their lives just for the joy of competition. They were kickboxing or doing judo or karate in their teens because they loved testing themselves against other fighters.

One example is Sonnen. He didn't wrestle his entire life because he wanted to be an MMA star and become a millionaire. He wrestled because he loved it. Loved the competition, loved the challenge, loved the fight. He'll fight anyone, any time. If he was 10, 15 years older he would have fit right into the old-school mentality.

Anyway I think its to bad there are not some documentaries of these guys that were fighting for nothing other then to fight.

Yeah those guys in the early days of the sport were the pioneers. But let's not pretend they're some kind of mythological heroes. Because the reality is, most of them fought because they didn't want to get a real job.

I think the guys back then were pure fighters compared to now days. maybe 1 in a 1000 mma fighers now days would be willing to compete in mma back in the mid 90s, those guys were a rare breed. There were less rules no money or fame. So the only reason they were doing it was because they wanted to be in no holds bars fights. I was around Judokas and Wrestlers and Kickboxers and these guys wanted no part of mma fights back then.
Big Red is offline  Top