View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #19
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: I wish someone had of made a documentary on the early days of Chuck Liddell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Yeah, the sport has evolved most guys are more well rounded now. Maybe Diaz is the kind of guy who would have done all he has done if there was no money in it, but I don't know.
Exactly, we don't know because it isn't the same anymore. But we can't just write off that old-school mentality like it doesn't exist anymore.

I mean, look at all those guys who are fighting in shithole local shows in the middle of nowhere for $200. No sponsorship, no realistic hope of getting anywhere, no chance of fame and success. No money to see a doctor for their post-fight injuries. Nothing but fighting. But they fight because they love it, and they'd rather be fighting than working on the end of a shovel. Those guys are still around, plenty of them. It's just that, by and large, they are no longer good enough to compete at the top level of the sport because it's been cleaned up and the serious professional athletes have taken over.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top