Old 10-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
Maximus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 505
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
Joe Calzaghe was an all time great fighter IMO.. I am sure many would criticize me for saying that, but when you combine his longevity, natural ability, effective aggression for a full 12 rounds, greatest at his primary weight class, and he does have some quality wins...... How could he not be ATG?

Now, I do also realize his career was very carefully managed, more than most other ATG's. Calzaghe didn't take quite as many risks as I would have liked to see, and I wish he would have done more to get a fight with Roy Jones when they were both elite fighters.. But the same could be said of most...

I can for sure appreciate what he did as a fighter though..
^^^ Pretty much what I think. Joe had ATG skills (if a little unconventional), ATG stamina, a great chin and beat everyone he faced. H2H he was a monster just on work-rate alone, which is where the critics usually come in and say he should have lost to Reid, which I can sympathise with but every fighter has a debatable win on their record.

That said, he was happy to take the money and not really challenge himself. I have Froch way ahead of him on resume, even though I believe Joe would have Lacy'd him at any point in their careers. A shame really, he could have been an ATG if he'd dumped ***** earlier.
Maximus is offline  Top