View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default Nick Diaz vs. Josh Koscheck?

It's certainly a possibility. An interesting fight, as well.

Quote:
Though he was hoping to fight by the end of the year, Josh Koscheck will wait for the calendar to turn.

When he returns, the former UFC welterweight title challenger has a few ideas of whom he'd like to fight. It's a short list, but it's a veritable who's-who of the 170-pound class.

Koscheck (17-6 MMA, 15-6 UFC) on Tuesday named Nick Diaz, Demian Maia, Jake Ellenberger and Rory MacDonald as opponents he's interested in.

"Doesn't look like UFC has a fight (for) me until (2013). So I'll just train and get better," Koscheck stated on Twitter. The fighter then went on to list the four opponents he's most interested in.

Koscheck earlier this fall said his plan was to return to action at UFC 155, which takes place Dec. 29 in Las Vegas. But a fight for him didn't materialize for that card, and now the California-based fighter will next see work in 2013.

Koscheck won two straight fights after dropping a unanimous decision against Georges St-Pierre in a welterweight title fight at UFC 124 in December 2010. He returned from a long injury layoff to knock out Matt Hughes in the first round at UFC 135, then won a split decision against Mike Pierce at UFC 141. But against Johny Hendricks at UFC on FOX 3 this past May, a split decision didn't go his way.

He was booked for a fight with Ellenberger at UFC 151, but had to pull out of that fight with a back injury. Then that event was canceled, anyway.

Ellenberger (28-6 MMA, 7-2 UFC) beat Koscheck replacement Jay Hieron by unanimous decision earlier this month at UFC on FX 5. It's conceivable that Ellenberger could be ready to go again for an early 2013 fight against Koscheck.

Diaz (26-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) currently is suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and won't be eligible to fight again until February.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/31282/ufcs...013-return.mma

I know that it is popular belief that Diaz is in for a rough night against any competent wrestler, but I think that's one of the biggest myth's in MMA. Fact is, Nick Diaz has never been completely shut down by any wrestler than he has faced. It is a myth stemming from his first UFC run, where he lost to Diego Sanchez and Karo Paryisian, who both won narrow decisions by simply being the fighter on top, for the most part. A lot of dummies seem to think he was handily outwrestled by Sean Sherk, but they clearly haven't seen the fight. Nick stuffed up to twenty takedowns in that fight, and even landed a couple of his own. Unfortunately for him, he was so focused on the TDD aspect of the fight, that his striking suffered, and Sherk scraped by on the judges scorecards, although it would have been fair to give Nick the nod in that fight, just as it would have been fair to give him the nod against Riggs and Karo in his first UFC run.

In reality, Nick has one of the most active guards in the game, and it is just impossible to simply LNP him. He will always be working for submissions and sweeps, and trying to exploit small openings. But, we live in a world where the guy on top is pretty much always considered to be the guy with the upper hand, and the judges often neglect to acknowledge guard work. That's the only thing that scares me if this fight does go down.

On the feet, Kos is pretty much a one trick pony with his wild overhand right. He does throw some high kicks, but his arsenal is very limited. Nick should definitely have the advantage there, utilizing his reach and work rate. However, I don't really think Kos will want to keep it standing, and will test his luck in Nick's guard.

I'm done.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links