View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #572
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
JOE CALZAGHE last night targeted the world's top light-heavyweights as he announced plans to move up a division this year.

The Welshman has set his sights on Mexico's Julio Gonzalez, who recently ended the long-standing WBO champion Darius Michalcewski's unbeaten record, and American Antonio Tarver, who was controversially outpointed by Roy Jones Junior, the IBO holder.

"I'm the best super-middleweight in the world and have done all I can," said WBO title-holder Calzaghe who has been shamelessly ducked by rival champion Sven Ottke, Germany's WBA and IBF champion.

His last fight at 12 stone will be a mandatory defence against Mger Mkrtchian of Armenia in Cardiff on February 21.

Calzaghe added: "Then I intend to move up and also hope to fight in America. It's no problem for me. The extra seven pounds will add to my punching power and my handspeed will make me even more dangerous against the bigger, slower men. I see nobody to fear in the light-heavyweight division."

He will automatically become the mandatory challenger to Gonzalez as the WBO have conferred "super champion" status on Calzaghe for making more than 10 defences of his title.

Promoter Frank ****** said: "The fights are there for Joe at light-heavy even though Roy Jones doesn't want to fight him - he's made it clear he wants to fight Mike Tyson and get out.

"But if Gonzalez won't meet him he will be stripped of his title and there's nowhere else Tarver can earn that sort of money."
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Boxing...e.-a0111955050

In other words if he moved up after Brewer 02-03 he would of automatically become the mandatory challenger for Daruisz's title.

Instead of doing that he stayed at smw and fought:
Miguel Angel Jimenez
Tocker Pudwill
Byron Mitchell

I think I can safely say that Dariusz would of been a tougher fight, but like I said before Calzaghe always took the path of least resistance.
general zod is offline  Top